About St. Osyth
St. Osyth lies about five miles to the west of Clacton-on-Sea and is approached from either Clacton or Colchester along the B1027. To the west of the village centre is Point Clear and Point Clear Bay where Stone Point in the Bay is only about half a mile across Brightlingsea Creek from the historic Cinque Ports town of Brightlingsea.
St. Osyth is a parish within the Tendring District Council administrative area and in the County of Essex. The centre of the village is dominated by the medieval remains of the Priory on its 383 acres of land, building of which began in the year 1118. It was established for the Augustine Canons and became one of the great Augustine Abbeys of Europe.
The Priory continues to be used as a home by its owners and we hope, though closed at the present time, it will soon be open once again to members of the public, following a recent change of ownership. The name St. Osyth is attributed to the daughter of a King of East Anglia, who in 653 AD, was beheaded by Danish invaders, because she would not worship their idols, and the Priory was built in her honour.
The centre of the village was designated as a conservation area in 1969 and this designation extended in 1982 and 1988. The Parish has 112 buildings listed as of historic or special architectural interest, including the Priory and the Church of St. Peter and Paul which are both Grade 1 listed buildings